Friday, February 12, 2010

Friday is my day: Malam

Jaa
Hop to Paris and meet Marie from malam.etsy.com She is an independent fashion designer with very unique style. Happy Friday and don't forget to visit the shop!

Thursday, February 4th

8h30 - I wake up too late, I did not hear my alarm clock the first time. Or rather, I heard it, but I switched it off very quickly.. I get in the shower then have coffee
9h till 10h30 I check and answer emails, update listings and photos on my websites, check statistics, Facebook and Twitter... then I check the orders I have to work on for the day, and dispatch custom orders on the calendar.

10h30 I continue working on a custom dress, adjusting it on the mannequin, and placing the darts.

I go on working on the dress, mainly sewing until lunch time around 1.30 pm Sometimes I do pattern drafting, sometimes I dye or cut fabrics, it all depends on the current orders.

I am not a very good cook, and usually eat very simple things, or ready-made meals because I don't like to take long breaks. Then coffee again, Internet again, and back to work on another dress I would like to finish today.

During the afternoon I regularly answer phone calls of which few are really for me, lots are salespeople trying to sell me new windows, china plates, or healthcare... Kind of annoying.

7.30 pm, I am done with the dress, and mark where the button holes will go.This is the only thing I don't do myself, I don't like the way my machine does it, and prefer having them made nicely by a professional button-holer. It's already dark outside , this is the view from my main window (I am on the 5th floor)

8 pm, I wait for the city train to the center of Paris. I always have a book to read while I wait for the train, here I am finishing "White is for witching" by Helen Oyeyemi, which I highly recommend, it is a very compelling read.

Fifteen minutes later, I get out of the tube station in Chatelet, and meet Yann and Guillaume - both photographers - for dinner in a small restaurant where I get a huge salad with fried cheese. I am pretty bad at choosing what I want, I can change my mind ten times before placing the order... but I changed my mind only 3 times today :)

11.30 pm, I get back home in the tube. There are still many people in the transports all as eager to come back home Midnight, I'm home and I do a last bit of handsewing, check my emails again, and.. to bed around 1am, once everything is completed :)

20 comments:

  1. Nice pictures!! Thanks for sharing a day of your life!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful pictures from your day. Your clothes creations are indead gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading about you, Malam! Lovely photo-reportage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great Parisian day! Lovely photos too, it was really nice meeting you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much Heli for the opportunity :)
    and thank you ladies :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved reading about Malam! Lovely photos and great creative- hard working day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful! Just as I imagine a designers day in Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really LOVE this blog post serie !! very inspiring and it is so wonderful to share Malam's life "from the inside" :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so very much for sharing!

    Love the style of your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved reading about Malam! Her designs are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So nice to read more from malam!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful reading and so lovely photos! I love that white watch!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Marie, you beat me! I work until late yes, but usually give up after dinner out but you still on!!! Good girl, but you need some resting lady!:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kiireistä sinulla on ollut!

    Hyvää ystävänpäivää ja kiitos blogini seuraamisesta.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful to meet you - thanks for sharing :=)

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh..I missed this one last week. Loved having a peek into your Parisian Friday. Also love how you photographed your day :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Malam makes my dream clothes :) I hope I can afford some one day ...

    ReplyDelete